Saturday, August 13, 2005

Week 40

Thought I would update with a recent photo, as I think it has been a few weeks. This was taken this morning during our dog walk. It is actually a pretty sunny day-- which is VERY exciting, as it has been raining off and on all week. Though I am accustomed to much warmer summers, I have been happy to live in this climate this year. Except for the summer I worked outside in the Frances Marion National Forest, I've never had much of a tan. The trade-off, of being a very pale but quite comfortable pregnant woman is certainly worth it.

Our friend Joe will be driving through town with his fiance and some friends this evening. He has been living in Munich Germany for the past year and a half, working for BMW. He will be returning to the US by the end of the year. We weren't able to visit him, though for quite a while he has been our nearest 'old friend' neighbor. By nearest I mean he is only 460 miles (740kM) away.

It is strange how our perception of distance has changed. Living in a small country and without a car makes 460 miles seem extremely far away. We talked about heading his way for Oktoberfest, but it wasn't feasible last year-- and this year it will REALLY not work out for obvious reasons. Not exactly an event geared towards newborns.

We are thrilled to have visitors, however briefly, to keep the monotony at bay. I told Joe just to call ahead to make sure the labor was not in progress. If not, we will hopefully take them to Jimmy's restaurant for a real American hamburger. Mmmmm.

No comments: