Thursday, August 18, 2005

Derde dag




I've been trying to come up with some description, some newborn theory, of what it is like the first couple of days. First of all, it seems time has slowed down and the world has sharpened its focus down to this one house for us. I feel like I just had my ears cleaned; listening for any hint from James, you pick up all sorts of sounds you would normally filter out in the night especially. Last night Ghost was dream-barking at some dream-cat, James was crying and Katharine and I were blearily rereading about newborn reasons for crying to try and figure out if there was some need we hadn't tried to address yet. So there is no theory; every baby and set of parents is different and just have to take the time to get to know each others habits. I thought maybe, "you have to become a baby to care for the baby..". We have begun to adopt his sleeping pattern, such as it is, we are all tired and irritable at times etc. But however difficult this kennismaken is, it is still easier for us than him right now.

The cookie-looking-thing is called beschuit met muisjes, rusk with butter and little blue(or pink) and white candy things that remind me of not so sweet Nerds(tm) candy. They are actually candy-covered anise seeds that are supposed to help produce milk. You eat them when visitors come or whenever you feel like it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Look how happy and alert he is! It looks like Master James is quite happy to have you two for parents! How GREAT! The cookie looks yummy, too. :)

Anonymous said...

Mike and Katherine,
Love the pictures!

I guess you are starting to realize that babies make their own schedules and you're just going along for the ride.

Is that a really big cookie or a really small plate?

signed, James' favorite uncle in NJ - Bill.

Anonymous said...

Ohhhhh!!! So cute! Yaw'll are lookin' better every day. You're geting into the swing of a new litle boy. Love to all three! Aunt Nannie/ Unca' Jess

Anonymous said...

Saw where the only one I did actually went through, Will try again. Every day I think these are the best pictures yet! How beautiful. I look forward to seeing what he is wearing each day and how he is wrapped. So adorable, cannot wait to squeeze him.
LOVE, mom