Thursday, August 11, 2005

Biding our time



Well, the due date has come and gone. That almost caused another meltdown around here-- it is so difficult to not take that date, insignificant as you know it is, and think it means something. Technically this means my pregnancy leave will be extended. I opted for four weeks before and 12 weeks after the baby's birth. They begin counting four weeks before the due date, but do not count the remaining time until after the actual birth. I have never been so uninterested in extra free time.

Mike and I went out to dinner last night, to a local Greek restaurant. It was excellent, and so nice to get out of the house and away from the waiting. Today, we did what any couple bored out of their minds would do-- went lamp shopping. Sometimes we just cannot figure out where to go to find things here. I know it is just a lack of information, but recently we had trouble finding a store with lamps. We went to the sort of general-goods stores, something like a Target, but smaller, and they didn't have anything. Today we tried a gift shop in the neighborhood and had much more luck. One of the items they ask you to have ready for a home birth is lighting (they also ask that the temperature is in a certain range). We are a little paranoid that depending on the weather or time of day we will be underlit for the big event. With this is mind we bought some great bedside lamps, which we will use in our bedroom when it is set up.

We have gotten some interesting tip from friends and family about how to 'speed up' the labor process. I don't think they are all suitable for a general audience, so I will leave it at that. Suffice it to say, we're doing all we can to make this thing happen in a timely manner. In the meantime, now that our lighting needs have been met-- Mike is still working dilligently on the house and I have repotted just about every plant that may need repotting in the near or distant future, dusted, vaccumed, brushed the dogs-- basically re-organized or cleaned everything I can think of.

My mom just emailed me that at this stage my cousin David sent his wife Catherine out with all of the metal tools for sharpening to burn time. Great idea. My sister in law Mary suggested I find all the clothes from about the fifth month of pregnancy and get them ready for wearing again. Any other suggestions out there??

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there girl. Our Elizabeth was 10 days late. But good things come to those who wait as she was such an easy baby. Oh, and we tried all the "suggestions" too- they don't work. Enjoy this time because after there will be times when you wish you could put the baby back for a few hours so you can get some sleep!
Our love to you 3!!
Catherine Wainer (David, Elizabeth and Ben too)

Anonymous said...

Niiiice lamp.