Tuesday, July 12, 2005

When it is time to call the pros


Mike and I like to think we can do just about anything on our own-- for just a short list of examples you don't have to veer far from this very page-- he's renovating a house by himself while I decorate the baby room and plan a totally unmedicated pregnancy. We like the challenge of being self-sufficient...but even we know when enough is enough.

Our dog Ghost has never been fond of the bath-- one of our favorite party tricks is to mention the word "bath" to him and giggle as he squirms to hide his large body under a piece of furniture. Mike and I each brought a dog to the marriage, and the washing duties have been firmly split down the middle ever since-- Mike washes Keska and I wash Ghost.

To be honest, I cannot remember the last time I gave Ghost a bath-- but I think it was right before we went to Egypt, which would be February/March. Shameful, I know!

As the pregnancy progressed, the likelihood of me getting a big squirmy dog (who hates water) in the tub dramatically decreased. But Ghost has seemed really hot lately, almost as if he has been unable to shed his big winter coat-- and not for a lack of trying.

It was obvious that something had to be done-- so we took him for his first grooming session today at pronk's, our neighborhood dog shop and Hondensalon. The results are amazing-- (who were we kidding?). Not only is he CLEAN, but he looks ten pounds lighter. The guy at the shop left the fur he cut off of Ghost in a big pile, and it was literally as big as the newly trimmed Ghost. We are hooked-- and we will have two clean dogs for when the baby arrives.

I am now officially on pregnancy leave (zwangerschapsverlof). Fortunately the beautiful weather is back, so I have been enjoying a little time outside each day in the sunshine. The leave time has really worked out perfectly-- I was ready for a break, and my back has felt fine since I slowed down two weeks ago.

No comments: