Thursday, July 07, 2005

The Bradley Method

My mom sent an email today asking for details about the bradley method. Click on the name to link to some basic information about this childbirth method from babycenter.com. I heard about it from my sister-in-law Dorothy, who said that she noticed that a lot of the couples who managed to birth naturally on A Baby Story used Bradley. I think the closest actual classes were somewhere in Germany, so that was not an option for us. Instead, I bought a book, Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way which gives all sorts of information and exercises to practice.

At first it was really difficult for us to get through the "mock labor" exercises without Mike completely making me laugh. For example the husbands in the photos all seem to be wearing only jean cut-offs for the birth (to their credit these do not look like recent photos). We have really laughed talking about Mike putting on something similar for our own labor.

Otherwise, the house is coming along-- a big problem we've been trying to work on is the staircase. If this makes sense, the size of the hole in the ceiling is limited and cannot be enlarged due to the layout of the second floor. When we initially put the numbers in a formula to decide the stair rise and run, we realized that the average person would have to duck to go up and down our stairs-- which means Mike would be whacking his head constantly. I spent some time today figuring out how to create a manageable slope while also allowing enough head space. Finally, after poring over my graph paper I figured it out-- and it took me about 5 hours, so it was helpful to Mike in mulitple ways!!

Also, the baby is kicking A LOT. I think the space is getting really limited, because he/she seems even more boisterous than usual.

No comments: