Monday, August 13, 2007

Zoom baby Zoom

Mike is currently flying from NY to London. He decided to book a slightly earlier flight back on Sunday night instead of waiting until Monday night. He found a cheap ticket with Zoom airlines, which by the way, if you are looking to fly to London, Bermuda, Paris or a few other spots-- they have incredible deals from New York's JFK.

I received an email from his mom when I awoke this morning saying his flight was delayed by 6 hours in leaving from JFK. That of course will complicate his transfer from Gatwick to Amsterdam. After arriving in Amsterdam he still faces the two hour train ride back. I know he must be stewing... but maybe at the same time just heading in the right direction feels like accomplishment at this point.

In our talks over the weekend we both decided that this separation lasted about one week longer than we would have preferred. I guess one never knows how they will feel about something until it happens, but I expected to feel better as his arrival time came closer, but instead things have gotten more difficult over the last week.

For one thing my energy level has dropped significantly. I have also been having contractions off and on since Monday two weeks ago. Granted, I only have one birth experience to compare with, but these are not like the Braxton Hicks contractions I have felt before. I have been feeling Braxton Hicks contractions since my trip to the states, and they don't bother me. These are what I think of as "real" contractions-- in how they feel. Of course contractions are only "real" in their consequences. Does it sound like I have been writing a dissertation or what?
What I mean is that, unless they start to form a pattern, build in strength and length, etc. even "real" contractions are not labor. Even so, it has been freaking me out a little bit. I have had several instances of periodic medium-strength contractions lasting for an hour or so. Then stopping. Every time I walk the dogs I think-- is this going to make things happen or what? Unlike last time, when I wanted things to roll-- I do not want to have the baby without Mike here. I have been walking the dogs very slowly over the weekend. The funny part is, and I think what makes it difficult for me to deal with, is it could still be five weeks until the baby comes! Contractions don't mean labor until they mean labor, and nobody knows when that will happen. So it has been hard to just relax over the last week and look forward to Mike's return. I have been able to use these times to practice all my Bradley Method relaxation techniques, which is cool.

The dogs-- they will be fine, but they are definitely frustrated. They need a good long run, which Mike is planning as soon as he returns and recovers from his own long day of travel. Ghost barked at other kids at the playground, then snapped at James on Sunday and then I caught Keska chewing glass! What does one do when that happens?? I guess I am just hoping she really chewed it up. It hasn't effected her eating patterns yet, so I am just keeping an eye on her for now. I recognize that part of it is selfish-- I HATE looking like the person with the crazy dogs at the park. We have worked so hard with them, and I think they are usually much better behaved than most dogs. But the dogs barking at kids, or at James, is completely unacceptable (chewing glass is clearly also not something I want them to do). With this in mind I have started rereading the dog whisperer book. It is good to be reminded and refreshed on what it takes to establish the pack, and to have a obedient dog who knows their place within the pack. However, a cornerstone of Cesar's whole thing is the amount of exercise, and though I more than meet his minimum, I know that these dogs need more.

All of that being said, we are so excited to think that Mike will be back soon. I have started the preparations for James' birthday on Wednesday (we'll actually have a few kids over for a party on Saturday). I have been explaining to him what een verjaardag (a birthday) is all about, choosing carefully to NOT use the word cupcake in any descriptions. I am afraid his cupcake addiction will make waiting until Wednesday very difficult if he realizes that is part of the experience. I brought two boxes of Duncan Hines cake mix back and will be making real American cupcakes for his class at school and the birthday kids. Exciting! After our frustrating dog experiences on Sunday I decided to NOT multi-task, and to just take James out to the neighborhood speeltuin (play ground, which James calls a speelground) on his trike. No dogs. No errands. Just mom and James. He was incredible. He has really learned to steer and everything since we tried this last time (probably in June). He just biked-- in fact he would get upset with me if I tried to help him steer or push. It was great, and I told him repeatedly what a good job I thought he was doing. Later, as he rode in his carriage while we walked the dogs he repeated "Mames... good... job" over and over again.

3 comments:

Mike Maier said...

Good jobs mames! See you tommorrow when you wake up!
Dad

StephB said...

Mames good job! : ) I love that story. I'm glad that your waiting will soon be over and that Mike can take over the dog-running.

Peg Odenthal said...

Nothing like a good, long walk/run to work out frustrations (for humans and dogs!) Glad that your family is back together safe and sound! Peg