that is a quote from the mockumentary about folk singers, A Mighty Wind, in reference to the fun-lovin' sounds of the New Main Street Singers.
It is on my mind because the status of waterpokken (chickenpox) at the daycare center has gone from "one child is infected" to "there are several cases". They also upped the signage from a handwritten with marker missive to a neatly typed much more official looking piece of paper. On this sign they mention that if you are pregnant you should speak with your doctor. So, after dropping James off I got on The Google to see why this would matter.
I know that during the pregnancy they tested me for rodehond rubella/german measles, and that I am not immune. That is important in early pregnancy because if you catch it then it can affect the baby-- in particular it might cause deafness or blindness. The current queen's sister, Marijke was born partially blind because of her mother's exposure to rubella during that pregnancy. But anyway, I know I have not been exposed to that during the pregnancy, and I wasn't sure why chicken pox in particular might be an issue. On the sign they particularly mention if you are in late pregnancy you should speak with your doctor. So, I have looked it up, and it seems to me that this ONLY applies to those who are not immune, right? Would love a comment from anyone if I am reading it incorrectly. I know I had chickenpox as a child, because as I remember it both my sister Elizabeth and I had it at the same time. I will check with my midwife next week just in case, but would love input here.
I think it would have to be a pretty complicated scenario if James were to have it, then pass it on to a newborn. As I have several weeks until a delivery estimate, lets just hope that James either gets it immediately and gets over it-- or fails to get it altogether. I am sure that even with a two to three week gestation period, it is unlikely that he would have it just as a newborn was entering the scene.
In other news... well we really don't have any. It was rainy yesterday, but looks gorgeous today. More importantly the weekend forecast looks good. We have a few activities planned that will hopefully help the time fly. The dogs are settling in to their life with the pregnant stressed mom. Either they have resigned themselves or they are actually satisfied in some way. Whatever it takes is fine with me.
I have begun to think about our next steps, as it just struck me that we have only about 4 months left here. whoa-- that seemed to sneak up on me. We have had so many big events on the family calendar, first the US trips, Mike's impending return, James' 2nd birthday, the arrival of #2, then the madness that is sure to follow. We need to add 'selling house', 'packing up/getting rid of other belongings', and 'international move' to the list. Then we have 'find jobs', 'finish dissertation'... it is hard to think about it without becoming overwhelmed. That being said we will take it slowly and see what happens. I have been looking at Political Science teaching jobs and have already found about three that are in my target area and apply to my qualifications. So, that is exciting but also means jumping off into the job search chasm. Some mention in the job announcements that they want applications in by October, will be interviewing around February, for jobs to begin in August 2008. It is hard to apply such a long time frame (it's like having another baby!) to one's future plans for moving. I think it is likely we will have to move, then move again... but the details of it all are cloudy for now.
Sorry no photos-- you will just have to create imagery from my rich use of language-- as I said yesterday was overcast.
3 comments:
I love the comment about creating our own pictures from your rich use of imagery. : )
No advice on the chickenpox. I'll ask Jen and report back.
Wow, that is a lot of change in the next year. And stress. But fun too.
Kat, I know when I was on bedrest with the twins, Terry had shingles, and we had to make sure that I had chicken pox before he could come and visit. I think it is b/c chicken pox in an adult can be more serious than in a child. James has probably been vaccinated, which would mean if he does get them, the case would be much more mild. I would give the midwife a call to be sure, though...good luck! dor
that would be convenient, but no-- chicken pox (varicella) is not among the vaccinations here.
Post a Comment