Another milestone this week, though not the most exciting kind. James threw up for the first time yesterday. We took him and the pups out for a walk, and we could tell things were not quite right. He was just a little despondent in general, but we chalked that up to his busy Sunday.
About mid-walk I noticed he was curling up in the stroller, and I moved around to the front to take a look at him. He was totally pale and clammy looking. I said to Mike "that kid is going to throw up"; Mike said "yep".
So Mike picked him up out of the stroller and carried him home (brave man!) while I walked the dogs. Poor little guy fell asleep on the way home but soon after getting back to the house got sick. He hadn't wanted to eat anything all afternoon (another sign) so it actually wasn't that bad.
We put him in the bath and then he fell asleep sitting on the sofa with me. We avoided a near meltdown by locating the "most favored" Monkey PJ's at the last minute. I took him upstairs to put him in bed after a while, gave him some water, and was reading him a few books when I realized Mike was making our dinner-- a lovely pan friend Talapia. Maybe it was coincidence, but soon after that smell drifted upstairs James lost it again.
Poor little guy. I am glad he is this age, because it was relatively easy to explain to him that everything was okay, that he was sick but it was okay-- all of that. I cannot imagine trying to keep a baby from freaking out in those circumstances. It is scary and strange for a child to lose control in that way. Instead, James repeated "Mames.. little... sick" over and over, and has been blowing kisses to his hurting tummy this morning.
He made it through the night without another mishap, but now has a low fever and is definitely not back to normal. He has had a few sips of water over the last 5 or 6 hours, and seems to be over the hump.
In the meantime his dad has been feeling awful too-- but for now I remain unscathed and am honestly THRILLED this is the case. We need at least one functioning team member. They are both snoring in the next room as I type this. We planned a quiet day today anyway, which should be nice for everyone. I have already mixed up the Jello, which is chillin' in the fridge for my guys when they feel ready.
2 comments:
God Bless you, babies! We'll be prayin'! :) Hope everyone is feeling better soon!
I'm sorry that you've got the tummy bug! Jello and ginger ale with crushed ice always made me feel better when I was a kid (and a bed on the sofa).
Post a Comment