Oh, it is an interesting task to attempt to ship goods internationally. When we originally signed on with Transpack shipping of Rotterdam they told us it would cost 364 Euros per cubic meter to get our goods from door to door, Enschede to Charleston. I originally estimated that our goods would be around 10cbm, but after hearing this estimate I knew that was WAY beyond our budget. With reality in mind we bought moving boxes that would total just 5 cubic meters, and decided we would try to shoot for that or less (well, it was a goal, but one we didn't reach). Based on my insanely exact measurements our goods totaled 5.33 cubic meters. I spoke with our representative Judith throughout the process, among other things getting her guarantee that we would only be charged for the amount we shipped. It was repeatedly emphasized that 10 cbm was not a minimum. Can you see where this is going yet?
5.33 cubic meters of goods were picked up from 102 Gronausevoetpad on December 12. We were told they would crate the goods, take the final cubic meter measurement, then submit an invoice to us for the total, and finally send our things. Around Christmas I heard from Judith of Transpack that the crated total was 7 cubic meters. A stretch for our budget, but within the realm of possibility considering crating boxes of odd shapes and sizes.
The entire shipping process was estimated to take about six weeks, so we were a little... dismayed let's say... that we'd not yet been billed a month later. After I asked them to give me an honest estimate of when we could expect our goods on Monday they quickly sent along an invoice for 3640Euros.
I have been going back and forth with them since then about this erroneous total, and trying to keep cool and not think about the fact that they have all our stuff and our hands are tied in many ways.
Judith's boss, Tiede, the guy who gave me the original quote, says that they changed the way they would ship our goods (from being part of a 20cbm container to being part of a liftvan--- I have no idea what this means). He says that changing this changes the cost. Of course in the subsequent emails that have flown between Tiede and I this week I have emphasized that the customer should be informed if the quote "changes". I am remaining calm, though Mike periodically freaks out about it-- both the fact that they have all our stuff and just the cost.
Tiede first offered to reduce the cost by 350 Euros (total 3290), then today said that they could go as low as 2930. I am holding out for 2548 (or 364 euros times 7 cubic meters)...
primarily because that is all we can afford. The whole interaction makes me feel very Dutch-- it was routine at the grocery store for the person in line before you to laboriously read through and check their receipt for errors. I keep reminding myself that no self-respecting Dutch person would let Tiede get away with this!
3 comments:
Apparently, this shipping scam is very common in the US. Clark Howard (consumer guru on WSB-750 in Atlanta) has talked about it a lot.
I'm so sorry. Good luck with your nego.
YIKES!!! How terrible of them to hold your stuff hostage & demand a ransom like that. There should be a law against that. OH - there is - it's call extortion!! :)
Here's hoping they will "Free Willie's (and the rest of the Maiers) stuff".
Sorry to hear about the move and transportation woes. I have accrued a lot of crap (books, shelves, etc.) from outgoing friends who wanted to avoid exactly this situation. Sufficed to say I will be doing the same when my time comes to an end. As for culinary tips, the food here is very basic and simple. People forget it all comes from China where you have to feed a billion people. Noodles, rice, and dumplings with two spices:hot and garlic. Also no kitchens to speak of, everyone eats out,so alas, I have picked up nothing useful unfortunately.
Post a Comment