Friday, January 18, 2008

Sailing away...

http://www.lr.org/Industries/Marine/News/PR3306+9600+teu.htm http://paradise.caltech.edu/riedel/personal/04-08-07-gallery/ http://www.boatingsf.com/photopage.php?photo=790

Well, I looked up the clark howard thing (www.clarkhoward.com) after Steph's comment. Yikes. I hope we are not being scammed by the Rotterdam mafia. At this point we're pretty much too far involved --if it is a total scam, we have nothing left to do but complain. We are just hoping and praying that they are not completely dishonest folks. I do not get the feeling that they are. But that being said, Mike and I both get the impression that there is a culture of "taking advantage" in the shipping world. Maybe we just have had a bad experience, or perhaps this is the kind of work that attracts reckless, scheming, sea-lovers-- modern day pirates, if you will.
It is somewhat resolved this morning.

After sending this letter:

Dear Tiede,
I understand what you are describing—but this is untrue. I specifically asked Judith van den Bosch if 10cbm was a minimum.

I specifically told her that I intended to move an amount closer to 5cbm of goods.
When I informed your organization that I planned to send a smaller shipment I should have been told it would change the price. But that is not what happened, instead even when I asked whether this would change the price I was told it would not.
I am very dissatisfied with the interactions I have had with your company. I know the average Dutch consumer would not accept a quote being “changed” in the middle of a business transaction. This is unprofessional. We were quoted 364 Euros per cubic meter, and I intend to pay for 7cbm of shipping. If this matter is not resolved I plan to register a complaint with the Consumentenbond. I learned about Transpack shipping services through the website www.internationalmovers.nl. They have asked me to fill out a questionnaire based on my experiences. If this matter is not resolved I will also inform them of my dissatisfaction.
Thank You


I received this terse reply:
Mrs Owens,
We will stop discussions.
Pls pay Euro 2548.

So I paid the original amount, and as I said above from this point its just hoping and praying our things arrive-- or arrive without being crushed into tiny pieces. If nothing else, I can feel confident that I paid an agreed upon price to have them crush our things into tiny pieces.
I did point out to Mike that his final reply doesn't say they'll ship our goods-- only that discussions are over...

5 comments:

GrandmaMaier said...

Can only say you have done your part in writing, rest is up to them. We have never had this expeience - not a happy thought that your possessions are held captive. I hope it is now on the way.

quasimagyar said...

I don't suppose you have anything from them in writing? As I've quickly learned here, you need everything in writing when dealing with Dutch companies and need to check the fine print carefully. These Dutch firms can be real bastards.

Keep up the good fight!

Dorothy Gould said...

Guys, During my GP days I did some international customer service, and yes,the shipping industry is rife with shisters. So sorry, but Kat, I love your letter to them, I think they know you mean business and are not going to take their crap. Hoping your stuff arrives soon, and safe and sound!

Elizabeth said...

WOW!! Here's praying your stuff arrives safely. Great to stick up for yourself - hopefully they will behave appropriately and get your stuff to you in the manner in which it was received.

Mike Maier said...

magyar:
The funny thing is that all the emails proving my case are saved as .pst file on the computer in their warehouse (and nowhere else). Of course they don't know this.
Even more interestingly, they haven't asked me for any substantiation for my claims... which makes me think they know they are just trying to get away with something that isn't right.