Well, even the keyboard here has the handy ü umlaut on it, though the y is way down in the lower left corner which is not hand-y. I'll have to use less words with that letter...
We are in Germany, in the Sauerland region about an 1.5 hour from Dortmund near a town called Bad Arolson. We are staying in a little A-frame bungalow for the week in the woods near a lake called the Twistersee. It's a beautiful spot and the weather has been warm enough to swim even, though we haven't tried with James yet. The whole country is crazy for the World Cup especially seeing how well the German team is doing- Mannschaft is all you hear everywhere. Could you make up a more masculine sounding name? Katharine has been watching the matches with me, but when she tires of 6-8 hours of fussball I broke down and surprised her with the Oprah 20 year DVD box set in Enschede and here she is plowing through the excellent but 800 page Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. So everything is about even.
Great matches from Spain and Ecuador in the group stage- it will be interesting to see how the next 16 play when really facing elimination. Tonight is Netherlands-Argentina and tomorrow, if all the planets align in a very special way, the US can squeak through...
Photos when we get back---
1 comment:
Poor lovers of Oprah - oft-maligned, but it seems that all the smart women I know LOVE Winfrey. Very cool gift. Will be looking forward to hearing what you think of Jstrange and norrel. I liked it v. much. Also way cool that you are getting the German world cup experience. I am v. jealous. Finally, the Twistersee? Sounds like a river out of Narnia.
USA!USA!USA!
Post a Comment