Sunday, February 03, 2008

Can't shake the Pig



Well, the race was a success. Until yesterday the longest I'd ever run (at least since childhood) was 25 minutes. That was on Thursday of last week. So, the prospect of a 5K was a little scary for me but also a good challenge. So I broke my record, and ran for a whole 37 minutes yesterday-- that's the time it took me to complete the race. The winner-- a strapping teenage boy-- won in about 11 minutes. So that gives you a good point of reference. I was firmly entrenched in the very center of the bell curve. Not the first, not the last, but happy with what I accomplished. I am SO glad my friend Sue wanted to come along and do the race with me. It definitely motivates you when you are not alone. It was also a really fantastic feeling to see my boys lined up and shouting for me as I crossed the line.

The race was co-sponsored by the local grocery store chain The Piggly Wiggly. So, there was a giant guy in a pig costume at the race, handing out fruit and gatorade, submitting to photos, and promoting the grocery store. Well, James was one of the few small kids present and the Pig kind of glommed on to us. Every time we turned around he was hovering nearby. James eventually got used to him and didn't cry out "scary...scary...scary" when he got near. By the end James was giving him hugs but I was a little weirded out wondering just who was inside that costume. We eventually managed to shake the pig-- after a lengthy goodbye-- and then we went to the new Piggly Wiggly on Folly Road to do our weekly shopping. So, I guess their little plan worked.
Photos are of James and the pig in the hotel lobby, and Sue and I just before crossing the finish line.

2 comments:

Dorothy Gould said...

Congratulations Kat, glad your race experience was fun. I have fond memories of PW from my Milledgeville days, although we never got to see the mascot, or have him stalk us!

StephB said...

Great photo! You look so professional. : ) Way to go on your world record and first race.