Monday, October 22, 2007
A broad life
We are in a sort of dream-state here. Though we know in our heads that we will be returning to the states soon, there is so much unfinished business that it does not quite seem real. I imagine it won't seem real until we board the plane. It is a funny feeling to get on a plane, travel thousands of miles, then call a new place 'home'. Though we're not 'from' here (not even way back in our family trees) the Netherlands has been home for four years. Speaking for myself (Mike is busy painting the bathroom, so I will do him the favor of leaving him alone while I write this)-- the Netherlands has felt like home during our time here. Even on our visits to the states I felt I was away from home, and that Enschede was 'home' for me. Though I inexplicably cried suddenly, appropo of nothing twice when we visited Charleston last: when I went to see my friend Jen, and when I was standing in Mark McConnel's office (the coordinator of the MES program at CofC). I'd spent so much time in both those places, and I guess I felt I had missed something by being far away from them.
But now this is home, not only because most of my shoes are here-- but because we have lived SO MUCH here. For only four years it has been full of intense experiences. Struggling to make sense of a new culture, making new friends in a totally new place, pregnancies, births, dissertation, general work-related soul-searching... and that doesn't even touch on the 'living in an unfinished caravan' experience, or the insane idea of renovating not one but two places in three years. Or that both of our boys were born not just on this soil, but in this very house.
We laugh about how we spend a little too much time here together as a couple. In general, in our past lives, we each enjoyed independent activities and lots of time both together and apart. Here we are almost always together-- whether its due to the lack of a car, the focused social interactions, or the circumstances of very young children with very specific napping schedules. Our life in the Netherlands is slow-- quiet, focused and intense-- understand, the Netherlands is not necessarily slow, but we are slow here. Maybe its just not having a car-- simple energy, time, and distance constraints keep us from rushing- rushing- rushing too much. We both feel fortunate to have so much time here. We both have flexible working schedules, so much so that we each take a portion of the day to take care of the kid(s), and a portion for working. We take a family walk together nearly every day. We talk about every nuance of our days to each other. I just don't imagine life in Charleston will be like that. It couldn't be.
It is exciting to think about being around so many friends in Charleston, being close to family again, and both being busy with full time work. My job will still be flexible, but Mike is likely to be heading into a more 9 to 5 sort of scenario. I am already anticipating what this will mean for us as a family. We all agree a broadening of perspective is long overdue, and it is exciting to think about making a transition from this intense family life in the Netherlands, to a more expansive life in Charleston.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
To say it will be a big change is such an understatement. I enjoyed your reflection on your life in the NL. It is amazing to think of the events that have occured to your family there in 4 short years. I think the realistic view you both have about the changes to come in Charleston will make them easier to navigate.
I think it's funny, because I was considering the part about all the free time myself recently. It's so true in regards to not having a car and what it does to your life. I have so much idle time on the bus, subway, walking to and fro, the rush rush rush of American life is gone. My questions is; at the end of the day, is it a better or worse lifestyle? Or can it even be put in those terms? In addition, is there something to be said for the lack of cohesiveness of most American families compared to other cultures? I think only time can tell for you guys, but hell if you made it every waking moment together in a foreign culture, Charleston and the US should be a cake-walk.
It's nice to know so many people read your blog. Life will be different here but certaintly it is just the next phase of married life together. Different places bring different problems but all to the good. Just love that laugh on James enjoying his new brother.
Love the video!! So thoughtful of James to bless little Will! Glad to see that you'll be back this way before long, and looking forward to visiting in Charleston! Big hugs to all there - Kat how are you gonna keep these three boys in order???
Brian
Post a Comment