Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Willy's long weekend

Many, many events in recent days. Today is actually Katharine's birthday and she is relaxing on the couch with her book after our birthday dinner of rock shrimp, littleneck clams, and andouille over angel hair. It has been a busy week or so- the thesis is mostly finished but for some final comments and editing, our five year anniversary was Sunday- which was also the day we had Will baptised. My brother Bill(godfather) and his wife Madeline came down from NJ and Katharine's cousin Laurens (godmother) and her husband Rick came in from Manhattan to celebrate with us. Monday morning James woke up and said 'we having party today?' We were going pretty strong from Thursday night through Sunday evening. We had a great couple of days though and really achieved our goal of keeping things relatively small and being able to really spend time with the boys and the godparents. Saturday morning was ideal weather and we all made it out to Folly beach for a couple hours. Will fell asleep on the beach and we were even able to get a nice lunch in with Bill and Mad. Both boys did really well all weekend and had great time getting to know this big extended family we are always telling them about. The surf was nice and calm and I walked out with James into the waves a little bit- he never wants to leave the beach- he is crazy for the surf and sand. Saturday was a party/impromptu baby shower for Laurens and we had about 15 people over for low country boil (easiest coastal party dish- also called Frogmore stew- shrimp, keilbasa, corn on the cob, and potatoes boiled with Old Bay and crab seasoning). Sunday morning was a very small and early service at the Circular Church. James was pleasantly subdued and Will made it through the entire service until the last 2 minutes when he broke down, had a bottle and promptly fell asleep. As Bill and Madeline so generously took both boys out to the beach again, Kat and I had the extremely rare brunch of adults with Laurens and Rick.
There are some great pictures out there of all this but what ended up on our camera was the beach and some stuff from today when we played outside. I can't believe we will be leaving for Connecticut in a month. All a little surreal.
Big thanks to the godparents and spouses for an exceptionally entertaining weekend. And happy birthday Katharine! I'm unbelievably fortunate to ever have met you and I thank my lucky stars every day that we are together.







Will with the respective godparents-

4 comments:

danzante said...

A very happy birthday to you Kat. We thank our lucky stars that Mike is with you too.
Cheers to all the events of the weekend,
M, M and R

Dogwood Girl said...

Happy bday Kat!! (belated)

And I cannot believe how big the boys are getting. Will is huge!

StephB said...

Happy Birthday Kat! And happy baptism anniversary with godparents And who ever said you were heathens? :)

StephB said...

OK, so we've had a bottle of wine with our dinner and I'm a little loopy and worried that you might not have gotten the "friendly-jokey quality" of the heathen comment. Just so you know what I meant...and that I'm not all "holier-than-anyone".

Will you be back in Atlanta before you leave for Connecticut? Because I've decreed this the year of the yard party. First one on Sunday - you can make it! And, if you are coming we will actually get the guest bedroom mattress at Sam's.