Friday, December 22, 2006

Lang zal ik leven...

Yesterday I, Mike, turned 35 and had a great birthday (the title is from the Dutch song they sing here). I first got to sleep in until 845, something that hasn't happened in 16 months. Katharine took care of James most of the day; when I went to the gym in the afternoon some friends surprised me with a bunch of balloons and singing as I was walking out of the showers- a very successful surprise- I pretended I was bright red from the exertions of my workout...
We are excited about Christmas- here they even have First and Second Christmas day (25th and 26th); it is more for family and visiting than Sinterklaas. New Year's is called Oud en Nieuwe (old and new). Since we didn't wind up with sufficient leftovers from our Thanksgiving we decided to have a turkey for Christmas dinner. We are trying some ideas from the BBC- they have some great cooking shows- will let you know how it turns out.
In sickness news (I think I remember being sick every year for my birthday till I was well into my twenties, its just the season...), James woke up with some gummy conjuctivitus this morning. To keep up with a long-running Maier tradition we had to ensure some photodocumentation.




My Dad is the biggest proponent of this technique- somewhere I have some great shots of me post wisdom teeth; even better the picture of my sister Dorothy's head staples after her brain surgery.
James has also had some good times with a few early Christmas presents. We figure he is not really cognizant or a stickler for any of the details this year anyway- and we also found out how difficult it is to completely hide stuff from children (it makes it harder to try and keep something away from a little sick kid...)

He really digs his new rolling duck-car (thanks ML and Pablo):





For your cultural exchange/Dutch lesson of the week?
You know the aardvark? Dutch for 'earth-pig'. Consider yourself slightly enlightened.

2 comments:

Dorothy Gould said...

Mike, I am glad you had a nice birthday, the present of sleeping in late is priceless, isn't it?

Poor James, I hope he is feeling better soon! But thanks for taking the photos and sharing. We have similar of Sophie at 3 weeks when she got the eye gook...good times.

StephB said...

Merry Christmas - sorry to hear about the eye gook. However, documenting for posterity does seem to make it more fun.