



While I would not say that we are all "well", things are much better in our world this week. In case it has not been adequately described on this forum, since James began day care he has consistently had a runny nose (our expert-mom-force assures us this will last a year or TWO at least-- quick tip: buy stock in tissue manufacturers now) AND has had a few fevers and an ear infection. However, for at least the last week things have looked (and felt) much better. James is definitely feeling better, and is so much happier and more fun when he is well. We also can see he loves school, and though it is only two mornings a week it makes a world of difference.
It has been a little clearer in Enschede this week, and much colder. Though the forecast calls for snow, I think that is not really accurate. I traveled by train Monday to catch a bus, to catch a ferry to visit the Wadden island of Ameland. I was going to speak with someone about a restoration project on the island. Unfortunately, the first link in my chain broke, and my train was almost an hour late. I was so disappointed; I called my contact from the train when it was clear I'd already missed my bus. So frustrating. As it is winter, there is limited ferry service, only one trip per day. Without the ferry I was doomed. My contact was VERY KIND, and understanding. We have rescheduled for January. I was able to get a lot of work done in my 5+ hours on the train. That at least is good.
I (Katharine) took a few days off last week for illness and just to have a break. I may do the same this week. I did manage to send off all job applications I was interested in at this point. It is a little weird-- my contract is not officially over until December of 2007, but most colleges hire in the Fall of each year. It is a toss up whether to
-rush a little, finish early and start work immediately, or
-finish at the proposed time and potentially wait a few months for
employment.
After many weeks of not being able to decide what to do (either could be really beneficial or difficult, depending on the details) I applied only for a very few jobs I have a lot of interest in.
I am focusing on the Northeast. Though we have talked about Portland or Seattle for years, and despite the sweet job at Humboldt State, we decided to stick with the East coast for at least a few years. We would like to be closer to family. Besides, housing prices in California are insane.
My four applications were to Albright College, Wheaton College, Keene State College and Green Mountain College. In Reading, PA, Norton, MA, Keene, NH and Poultney, VT respectively. Mostly New England, all small colleges (GMC weighing in at a diminutive 750 students), and nearly all private (Keene state is public). For us the container deposit legislation in most of these places is just a bonus.
We are planning to visit Den Helder for a few days soon. A friend's parents live there and have offered us the use of their house while they are in Enschede. What a treat. It is at the tip of the province of North Holland (Noord Holland). This is the home of the Royal Navy, and also the point of embarkation for another Wadden Island, Texel. Apparently you can visit a seal education/ rehabilitation center, too... waiting for the details on that. We may just stay put and enjoy walks along the dune paths in Den Helder.
Well, now that you have patiently sat through the boring details of our everyday lives, on to the star of our show--- little James. He is such a sweet bean, and is developing a very funny personality. We think his first official word may be "socks"-- something he hears a lot because his dad always lets him know when it is time to put on shoes and socks. He is making so many noises and sounds, but nothing much we would call a word yet. "Socks" he at least repeated back to us for a few days. Then stopped again. Photos are from the decorating of the tree, and include several shots of James wrestling with the box, and one of him and his (favorite) dog ghost.
3 comments:
Excellent post - nice to hear what everyone is up to and to hear that you are all feeling better. We are also experiencing the sick months at home, too.
I am looking forward to hearing about the next leg in your adventures - All of the places you are looking at look like they would be great places to live.
I love the end of the year wrap up! Can't wait to hear how things pan out.
Why didn't I send that boy a box for Christmas? I guess he can have the box it came in! :)
I'm glad you are feeling better this week! Very exciting about the job applications. Let the waiting begin. . .
Post a Comment