Sunday, November 13, 2005

Bijna klaar (almost finished)





We've made some progress in the perpetual struggle to remodel the house. After a long week (I've never spent so much time remodeling such a small room and we are not finished yet) we finally have the new kitchen mostly put together. Note the tiny European fridge mounted at Maier level. Almost everything in this part of the house needs to be replaced; if we were planning on staying here long term I'd be tempted to just knock the back of the house completely out (the last photo is the back of the bathroom where I was chasing rot and ended up punching a hole through most of the wall...). My neighbor Ronald helped me install 4 new electric groups (breakers) as the entire house was previously riding on two with the doorbell having a group to itself. Now we can run several appliances at once (even a circular saw while while drying diapers!). Here you see the dramatic before and after; there are still quite a few details in the new kitchen: drawer pulls, toekick, insulation, tile on the backsplash, lighting and sheetrock on the ceiling, and installing the exhaust fan over the cooktop. We are having 30 people for Thanksgiving so that is the real deadline in 2 weeks. After all that we are ordering out tonight- we are way too tired to cook and clean up.

3 comments:

StephB said...

Wow - great job on your renovations!

Wendie Klieverik said...

WOW!!

Dogwood Girl said...

I am sooo impressed! Looks great!