Its not that we haven't been inspired to add to the blog lately- we have just been pretty busy. Mike has his first translation job which takes up more time and effort than just language editing and Kat, though mostly over the first trimester blahs, is working hard on the thesis to have it done before the summer.
James is doing great, though a fever kept him from daycare on Friday; that really blows because it means no time for editing (i.e. income) that day.
Today Katharine and James got their hair cut. We have been sort of trimming his hair in the bath and whenever we can get him to sit still but he was sort of starting to look a little homeless. We didn't know what to expect when we went to the kapper. The young girl (we had never been to this one before- we tried it because it was close and cheap) was really good with James. He cried for a minute and turned his head away- she had him sit in Katharine's lap- but once she got going he enjoyed it actually. She chattered and distracted him and was amazingly fast with the scissors. When he was done he hada cookie and the default product for young Dutch hair: a big dollop of gel. We laughed because we had seen little kids with these crazy do's before and just said 'dat is typisch nederlands...' In some of the pictures you can see the remnants of the gel; it was cold and we had to put the hat on to bike around. We have had a little warm spurt in the last couple of days however; some of the crocuses have even started blooming at the local park.
Kat's updated look:

Flower power:


A new game- putting socks on everything we can fit them on:


Though still mostly limited to pointing and grunting, James enunciation makes surprising leaps and bounds. It is funny- he'll say 'uh-oh' if anything falls on the floor- even when intentionally thrown there...
Yesterday he busted out a perfect 'what' (Katharine was hiding and surprising him with her best rendition of Dave Chappell doing Little John- I know, convoluted and incomprehensible to most of our audience but trust me it's funny) and he just screwed up his mouth and did it. It surprised all of us, including him. I'm pretty sure he has no idea what 'what' means but its amazing to see language develop in real time.
I had hoped I had it in me to wax on the application of dog training techniques to toddler parenting but it will have to wait for another post; I am out of gas for the night. Instead please enjoy this massive physique-
4 comments:
Mike, James' physique rivals your godson's, can wait to get them together. Love the new do's on both James and Kat. Chapelle's show is a staple in our house, it is on every night on the comedy channel, plus my husband has bought several of his DVD's. Funny stuff.
I would have thought I was the only one who could appreciate a good Chappelle show reference, but I am apparently wrong. WHAT! OK! or in Chinese "Shua Ma!" (What!)
YEAH!!
What does Geknipt mean?
The new cuts look great on both mother and son. Crocuses are nice, too. I love spring.
And the little ones learning language is absolutely the most entertaining part of parenting. Everything they say starts to sound like crazy poetry.
Anne- I don't know if 'beh' is so poetic the millionth time. That is his default sound for everything along with constant pointing. Knippen is to cut- geknipt is the past tense. I think we actually motioned with our hands like scissors because neither of us knew the appropriate term (theres actually a bunch of words that mean cut) and we have been cutting our own hair a lot for years.
Post a Comment