Friday, January 19, 2007

A Mighty Wind

We had a massive storm here yesterday and most of last night. The wind was so strong we didn't even venture outside once, except to let the dogs out during a lull in the evening. It ripped off a section of our serre (sort of a greenhouse, clear plastic roof porch off the back of the house), and sent a bunch of debris whipping through the back garden.



James slept or was held on a shoulder the whole day with a high fever. This morning he was in the same shape and we went to the doctor where they confirmed his second ear infection in as many months. He is now still burning up though he is getting ibuprofen and we hope the antibiotics kick in soon. The doctor said his adenoids were inflamed and suggested that we think about having them removed next year if he keeps having trouble with infections. We'll see, but I hesitate to have him cut open to remove something that produces antibodies. I guess it used to be more common to just take these and your tonsils out at once.

Katharine and James' schedules meet on the couch for Grapenuts-



Back on the couch-

5 comments:

StephB said...

I'm sorry James is feeling poopy. Big hugs for him. Dagny looks the same when she is feeling badly - except she MUST have the blankie to hold while she sucks the thumb.

Dogwood Girl said...

Oh, poor baby. I hate when they are so sick they just want to lay on you. It is heartbreaking. Hug him for us. I thought of y'all when I heard about the weather - glad there was no serious damage.

GrandmaMaier said...

Let's try this again. changed to NEW Blogger and it won't recognise me. Heard about wind all over Europe - not good. Hope James is feeling better by today - love that thumb picture.

Mike Maier said...

A huge fan of the thumb- he is already beginning to get the 'birthmark' I still have on my right thumb.

Dorothy Gould said...

Mike, Only the true thumbsuckers have the birthmark; Soph joined that club about a year ago. I am in the boat with you guys, both Mike and Em have fevers, pretty high, Em went up to 102.9 and Mike today hit 103.4, I have to say that freaked me out a bit. They saw the ped yesterday, and with no other symptoms, it is probably viral, not bacterial. Luckily, Em is fine today, and Mike's has fallen to the 101 range. He has been a couch potato all day, a big change from his usual "full speed" ahead self. Em did have the finger stick yesterday to check her white count, and all was well. As long as Sophie doesn't get it, we should be over the hump by tomorrow.