Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Pech

It rhymes with our slang 'blech' (like, gross!) and its been the overarching sentiment of the past few weeks. It means bad luck or misfortune- the opposite of 'mazzel' or for all you linguists out there, and well, I guess everyone gets their string of it.
I'll blame the unusually long delay in posting on it without hesitation. Before I go into my litany I have to remind myself that others have it, and are having it oh so much worse, and our little complaints and temporary setbacks shrink in comparison to real problems, but...
I'm hoping that a little bitching will at least end the streak.
I find it personified in this picture of poor James.



It all started at Heleen's birthday party almost 2 weeks ago. It was one of the other little attendees that was brought sniffling to the party that gave James the flu, but Heleen did her best to hug (wrestle) him into submission. The day after the party he had his first fever, a pretty scary experience for us- he was totally limp and listless and super-crabby and burning up for almost 24 hours. Then it was gone and he was cranky and runny nosed and disatisfied for the next week which made me so exhausted I easily picked up the same bug the next weekend and spent a miserable 24 hours hot and cold and desperately trying to rest. When this all happened, I was still inwardly fuming about missing my flight, then Katharine's bike gets stolen, and then to top off our transportation woes, somebody backs their car into my bike locked to the tree in front of our house and tacos the front wheel (I don't remember when that happened, but I think it was the day I was finally beginning to feel a little better...). Oh, and one of the dogs (okay, my dog) had diarhea for four days.
As James was finally beginning to feel better, it was time for his consultatie bureau visit and two (2!) nice big vaccine shots. We forgot it was this visit but I gamely held him down (I even had to keep his thumb out of his mouth because one of the shots was going in the arm) while the doctor got everything ready. I thought, great she's really taking her time to have it all in order so she can just do both quickly- of course after the needle in the leg, she putters around aimlessly looking for something while I try to hold squirmy still so she can get the second one in his arm.
Anyway, it has to be getting better- James actually did okay today till the late afternoon which is fine after 2 shots. I however, smell burning milk coming from the kitchen and the now sad beginnings of my au gratin...

5 comments:

Dorothy Gould said...

Mike, There is nothing wrong with asking if they are ready....and refusing to start the hold if they are not. Totally unfair to James, and to you as a parent! It's bad enough without incompentence. And at his age, he knows something is coming. Remember Dr. Brown's nurse telling us:"oh, look at that!" And when we looked, she jabbed it right in. Of course, we were older than James. Hopefully, the bad luck has run out, and the good luck is coming in....love, dor

StephB said...

Pech is right! I feel for you.

Those nurses need to have all things ready before you commence the hold so that they can jab, jab, finished!

You are due for some anti-pech.

Dogwood Girl said...

Pech is how I am feeling this morning. You guys have had it rough! Things will turn around - they always do.

Au gratin. mmmm.

GrandmaMaier said...

Things like this always seem to come in bunches - you have had your share - it will get better. Kat did not get flu - that was a bright side. Can you bike be fixed? Shots always hurt the parents more.

Mike Maier said...

No KAtharine hasn't gotten the flu which is great. We also didn't run into a bear! I'm so glad you guys are okay- my bike was fixed the next day luckily- for about $15. Today the insurance claim came back on Katharine's bike so she will pick out a new(used) bike next week.
Mike