

We are preparing for our big trip to Finland and Denmark. It took me forever to plan this trip in a cost-efficient but logical way. I first looked into renting a car and driving, but when you start to realize how far away Finland is, that idea is ridiculous. At the same time, for the second half of our trip (Denmark) we want to have car access and we want to bring the dogs. Boarding them is not cheap, and we like to have them along whenever possible. So, we will take a train to Amsterdam, fly to Helsinki, take a train to Tampere (fortunately Finnish trains have playroom cars for kids ). In Tampere we will spend a week at this Rustmokki (log house) which is apprently made of giant Lincoln logs. It should be nice to see some big nature. There are also cross country trails right there for hiking, a sauna, lake... we might not come back. We are especially looking forward to visiting KANGASALAN YHTEISKYLÄ the village of the dry toilets and picking up something from the conference with that logo on it! Mike and Megan-- we have got you covered.
After a week in Tampere attending the Dry toilet conference we will take the train to Helsinki and stay overnight at the Academica Summer Hostel which is literally University student housing converted to a "hotel" in summer. The family rooms in the 'modern' building look great to me. This place is near a sushi restaurant, outdoor flea market and cemetery-- which should keep us busy during our day in Helsinki.
Not to be creepy, but cemeteries can be a great way to learn about a culture. I remember in Dr Rashford's class in Charleston taking a walk through cemeteries and learning about the plants that were traditionally placed there-- lots of evergreens, for example, to represent eternal life. Most of the plants there had meanings behind them. We have visited a few in the Netherlands and they are fascinating. We even heard from a friend that the Dutch only stay buried for about 50 years. Due to lack of space most people do not have graves for longer. I think they are exhumed and cremated-- but like I said, this was just party conversation, so who knows what parts are true.
Anywho-- back to the trip. Our flight from Helsinki leaves early in the morning, and when we arrive in Amsterdam we will rent a car and drive by and pick up the pups at their favorite kennel Dierenhotel Hazewinkel. Then onwards to Haderslev Denmark for the wedding and fun with friends. Keith and Dorthe are tying the knot at the Starup Kirke, which I think is pictured above. Danish and Dutch are related, but not enough for me to totally understand if this is the right church. There will be coffee and cake, and then a reception at the Hejlsminde Forsamlingshus (which I couldn't find a photo of). In Haderslev we will stay at a farm, in the guest house. Luckily we convinced Laurens and Rick to stay here too, so we should have a wonderful time.
After our week in Denmark we will head back to Enschede to buckle down for the fall. Mike will most likely start getting editing jobs (he is finally having a break from that right now, as everyone is on holiday-- which means he is working on the final big house project: the bathroom remodeling). Sorry about that horrible sentence. It is early here. An no, there is no dry toiletry involved with our bathroom. I couldn't convince Mike on that one for now.
And though we said our last trip home was definitely the last one until we move back to the states it looks like we may be visiting Bar Harbor Maine for a conference in October. I have been accepted to the conference, which is about finding a balance between humans and nature; and I have recieved a grant from the Netherlands Institute of Goverment to attend. The conference will be held at the College of the Atlantic. The conference is scheduled for the "changing of the leaves" time in fall, which should be spectacular. So, New Jersey and Rhode Island Maiers-- we may be in the neighborhood in mid-October.
4 comments:
There is so much in this post...where do I begin? The play cars on the trains look awesome, I think you guys will have as much fun as James. I did check out all the links for the Dry Toilet Conference, is it like what we would consider a port a john, but nicer since it is in a home? Lastly, the lincoln log house and the guesthouse on the farm both look wonderful. Your trip is certainly well planned and thought out. Kat, if you ever want a different career, you should go into travel!
I had to have my Atlanta daughter teach me about links - absolutely wonderful planning for this trip, had good time going to ALL the links. Good work.
Wow, that sounds like a great trip!
You will have to post a dry-toilet tutorial once you return. In my short visit to the websites, I did't quite understand how they work.
It sounds like you are going to have a wonderful trip! The lincoln log house rocks. That is every little boy's dream come true!!
Can't wait to see lots of pictures!
Post a Comment